Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Memories of a successful Learning Experience

A tough one this. Not being a teacher and having to come up with "a successful learning experience I designed" However, I can think of one. Years ago, I ran a workshop on internet applications for Upward Bound while I was getting my degree. I focused primarily on Internet searching and source citation and set them up with email accounts on the university email system so they could do email "pen-pals". I contacted two schools: one in Wisconsin and one Iowa, (Simon and Mary were the teachers names) and also put the students on to what used to be penpals.net (but has now become unrecognizable) so they could converse using email.
This was the early 90's-the web hadn't yet become what it is today. Email was primarily a business or paid service, yahoomail and the rest hadn't taken off.
Most of these kids were amazed at what you could find, and shocked to discover that not all of it was true. From course evaluations I learned that they enjoyed the email and felt more connected to other students. Many asked if they could retain the accounts after they left so they could continue the conversations.
Many of these students wouldn't print 3 sentences but were regularly sending 15 to 20 email messages a session. I was using floppy disks for email storage for security and continually had to supply additional floppies as their "mailboxes" became full.
I had designed it to be an introduction, a primer; with some fun thrown in. I wanted it to be an academic information course as well. Things got off track more than once but I think I succeeded in those aspects. More importantly I think I learned something as well-when you trying too hard to get something across sometimes you have better success if you let go a little,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I supposed to write an experience of succeful or unsuccesful learning experience. I googled and found this blog. It reminds me the floppy disk-we used to use for all kinds of electronic storage just about few years back. I wonder how I tottaly forgot this once-necessary gadget, if I didn't read this. shall I remember it. When? I always notice how quiclky it evolves. Thanks
Sharif.Rahman@hotmail.com