Friday, May 2, 2008

What is the role of an electronic portfolio in my ongoing academic and professional career in educational technology?

I think that an electronic portfolio is a "no-brainer" if you are in a program or career that emphasizes the use of technology. It displays not only an interest but several uses of technology. However, its' validity and role is not limited to those areas alone. I find this ongoing assignment for EDC 668 to be interesting, but arriving a little late in the program. Since day one I have worked to make my entire website a reflection of my ongoing work and reflections and to act as a portfolio of my accomplishments, (and failures). All the papers I have written, the programs and publications that I have created as a part of my Masters' "journey" are already a part of it. I think it represents a more complete picture of my work than could be compiled from all the various blogs, wiki's, and Blackboard discussions etc. I intend to have a section (opening soon!) that will include a compilation/distillation/sampling of some of that work as well. It is far more accessible. (though it could benefit from some reorganization)

For me the role of this electronic portfolio has been to not only display my work to others but in review and organization of the work; in making decisions about how it can be accessed and displayed; and by explorring new ways to post and present the content I continue to grow and learn. Because the entire site is a "work in progress" and I maintain an archive of my revisions and steps it at the very least can act as an inside look into the developmental processes that went into the work as well as my own experiential development. To an employer this can not only show my accomplishments and what I have done; it can also say a lot more about me and how I do things. This can give a prospective employer an idea of how I have met challenges and how I potentially can grow to meet challenges in their organization. For others who can view my work, I can only hope that they will find it useful in their own learning and that my process archive can be a guide, (or a warning!), to them.In this role my website portfolio can have broader impact and reach more people than I could have in person or in print form.

I am glad to have an opportunity to have a small portion of this work viewed for assessment.

No comments: